Airline to return 17 sun and leisure routes suspended during pandemic to destinations across the Caribbean, Mexico and U.S.
CALGARY, AB – August 8, 2022 – WestJet today celebrated the return of 17 sun routes to its network this winter. The returning routes which were suspended for more than two years, bring enhanced connectivity and vacation options for Canadians and communities across the airline’s network.
“The restart of these routes is another positive step in the restoration our network as we solidify WestJet as the reliable, friendly and affordable airline we are known to be,” said John Weatherill, WestJet Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer. “We recognize the past three winters have been disruptive to our agency partners and their clients travel plans and we look forward to reconnecting Canadians to some of the warmer destinations they have missed the most.”
The airline today also announced new six-times weekly regional service between Penticton, B.C., and Vancouver beginning on February 17, 2023 on WestJet Link along with the restart of domestic connectivity between Edmonton and Nanaimo, B.C.
Highlights from WestJet’s winter schedule release:
Sun and Leisure, Transborder and Transatlantic:
• Restart of 17 sun and leisure routes suspended since 2019
• 45 per cent increase to sun and leisure flights from winter 2021
• 60 per cent increase in transborder flights from winter 2021
• 25 per cent increase in transatlantic flights from winter 2021
WestJet’s investments in sun, transborder and leisure flying are growing across the country with:
o A 50% increase in flights from Central/Eastern Canada from winter 2021
o A 55% increase in flights from Western Canada from winter 2021
• 65 per cent increase in flights to/from Winnipeg (YWG) from winter 2021
• 50 per cent increase in flights to/from Edmonton (YEG) from winter 2021
• 35 per cent increase in flights to/from Vancouver (YVR) from winter 2021
• 30 per cent increase in flights to/from Calgary (YYC) from winter 2021
• 10 per cent increase in flights to/from Toronto (YYZ) from winter 2021
• New domestic connection between Vancouver and Penticton, B.C., on WestJet Link
• Restart of Edmonton-Nanaimo route suspended since 2019
• 25 per cent overall increase in flights network-wide domestically from winter 2021
For more information please click here