Basic branded fares reference guide
April 26, 2022
In this guide, you’ll find details on our Basic branded fares/fare families.
Basic is designed for your value-seeking client that is looking for low-cost fares without any added attributes.
Although Basic fares have restrictions, guests will enjoy the same WestJet inflight experience including use of the overhead bins, complimentary snacks and drinks, and access to our inflight entertainment system WestJet Connect.
IMPORTANT fare attributes:
- Voluntary changes are not permitted
- Name changes are not permitted.
- Voluntary refunds are not permitted
- Basic fares are not combinable with other WestJet fares
- Same-day flight changes are not permitted
- Basic fares are not eligible to purchase an upgrade to our Premium or Business cabins
- Checked baggage fees apply
- Pre-reserved seats can be purchased for a fee
- WestJet Rewards members travelling on a Basic fare will not earn WestJet dollars, and the booking will not be eligible towards their qualifying flight spend.
It’s important that your clients are aware of the fare restrictions associated with Basic fares. Please be sure to communicate the restrictions of Basic fares and have your clients acknowledge their acceptance.
Agencies or corporate accounts may choose to suppress or inhibit both Basic fares (A and E class of service) from their booking tools. Corporate accounts should contact their travel agency or TMC. Agencies should contact your GDS for assistance.
- Basic fares are filed in A and E classes of service
- Basic fares are not available for WestJet Vacations bookings or WestJet Groups bookings
- Basic fares are non-commissionable
- If your client is no longer travelling, flight inventory should be cancelled, and no action taken on the ticket. Any violations outside of this process will result in an Agency Debit Memo (ADM).
- If your clients are thinking about booking Basic, this is a good opportunity to advise them of all the restrictions and upsell them to an Econo or EconoFlex fare.
- Both Econo and EconoFlex fares offer more flexibility when it comes to changes or cancellations.
- EconoFlex fares include: $0 change/cancel fee for flights within Canada, and the first checked bag.
- WestJet Rewards members travelling on an Econo or EconoFlex fare will earn WestJet dollars, and the booking will be eligible towards their qualifying flight spend to reach Silver or Gold status.
- WestJet Rewards members will not be able to use the following flight benefits if they book a Basic fare:
- Platinum and Gold Rewards members will not be eligible for same-day changes at check-in if they book a Basic fare.
- Platinum and Gold Rewards members will not get early access to purchase an upgrade to our Premium or Business cabins, as Basic fares are not eligible for upgrades.
- Platinum, Gold and Silver members will also not be eligible for complimentary upgrades to our Premium or Business cabins, as Basic fares are not eligible for upgrades.